Tuesday 14 January 2014

       I dig up a lot and finally decided to get started as a developer at GNOME and as expected first 4-5 days are totally cold start :) . I just learnt how to build a software and had a lot troubles with it but it was really exciting as I felt that my knowledge about open source stuff was just get doubled during these few days and I also felt excited about sharing these things with others too. First of all I was not expecting that people would be totally ready to help you at any time and about anything on IRC but I was totally wrong. As far as I remember, I first talked to "weld" on #gnome-love channel.
      The first problem in which the people on IRC helped me is to create a symlink between Python2.pc and Python-2.7.pc as the package required the exact Python2.pc file which was not there and I made a symlink using ln -s and it worked. I just felt great at that time and surprisingly after 2 days I helped someone there to solve the exact same problem.
       I started looking for projects and their requirements and I found gnome-clocks and built it(by passing too many troubles with the help of people on #gnome-hackers). I started using it and hacking its source-code. It seems quite interesting and still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment