Monday 17 March 2014

Again after a moth with more confidence

Hi, I'm back again after a month. It was again awesome time excluding some issues (e.g. exams etc.). My last patch of showing local time in gnome-weather is accepted. Then I started looking for more bugs. By February 19, 2014, I've submitted 2 patches for gnome-weather. GSoC student proposal submission was started from 10th March, 2014. I started looking for more and more bugs and my workflow was like editing reviewed patches and making new patches.
By now, I've made new total 5 patches for gnome-weather and libgweather. One patch for gnome-weather and 3 new for libgweather. All of them are accepted now. Great feeling to have status of patches as accepted_commit_after_freeze :).

Let me talk about the patch that I submitted for gnome-weather. It was about adding support to get current location of the user and adding that location automatically to the world-view of gnome-weather. I learnt how to use system daemon service "geoclue" and defining interface for it. It was not much difficult. I've added one more file to gnome-weather and got copyright of it. (My first copyright on a file in Open Source world :) ). This is the video link that shows how my current location (For now nearest location -> Ahmadabad) is added to the world-view : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjqGsX6l2iY

After this I started looking for bugs in libgweather. I found many of them were related to city missing which will be solved after the implementation of the proposed Weather idea for gsoc'14. To add the above (getting current location) feature, I've solved one bug (seg fault error while finding nearest city) for libgweather which was about modifying the way of traversing through all the locations. It was a tiny little bug. Then my mentor has suggested me to implement a new API in libgweather to get the current location with the current location name and its coordinates. Now geocoding comes in the picture. In this task, I've  used geocoding (an asynchronous process) and detached location support to get customized location. This is the same part which will be used in the proposed project implementation. So I got a huge benefit by implementing this.

Well during this implementation, I've implemented one other API with the support of filter function to filter out some locations to find the nearest city. Which was suggested by gnome-clocks (another app using libgweather) mentor.
Finally, it took some time to implement this all and thanks a lot to my mentor for supporting me and finding solutions to problems that I faced during implementation. Both the patches for both the APIs are accepted.

Then I started making my proposal and it was easier for me now due to last two APIs implementation and I got clear idea about how to implement the proposed project. Even I've added some incremental goals to my proposal to work on it if the proposed project would be finished before the time. I've submitted the proposal. Hoping to get the project selected for gsoc'14 and getting myself selected for the project. Let's see what happens......

No comments:

Post a Comment